Players will only be eligible for selection in the Regions that they reside
Players All players who are selected in your training squad will need full ETA membership. It will be the responsibility of the player to ensure they have purchased this membership. This information will be checked upon registration and players found without valid and full membership will not be able to partipicate.
Coaches All coaches who are chosen to lead a region must be an England Touch member
Referees All referees who are chosen to represent a region must be an England Touch member
CLICK HERE to find out more about ETA Membership
Opens Must be over 16 on the day of the tournament, with no maximum age. Players younger than this must must be cleared to play via further documentation
Seniors Men: Over 30, Women Over 27, Mixed Over 30, as of 31/12/201* , with no maximum age
MastersOver 35/40/45, as of 31/12/201* with no maximum age
18s The age criteria date will be 31/12/201* meaning participants must not have turned 18 until 01/01/201*. The lower age is set at 16, meaning that a participant must already be 16 at 31/12/201*. Anyone younger than 16 and participating in the 18 division must be cleared to play via further documentation
15s The age criteria date will be 31/12/201* meaning participants must have not turned 15 until 01/01/201*. The lower age is set at 13, meaning that a participant must already be 13 at 31/12/201*. Anyone younger than 13 and participating in the 15 division must be cleared to play via further documentation.
* denotes the year previous to the international competition. For example, playing Nationals in 2019, to be selected into the national squad for 2020, age criteria cut off would be 31/12/2019
Player eligibility for international sporting competition can be a complex and often emotive issue. The defining elements are at the very heart of global competition and key issues involved in ascertaining eligibility include aspects of nationality, passport, residency, ancestry, place of birth, playing history, the respective country’s selection process and even a player’s gender and age.
Please note that in order to be selected to play in the Touch Nationals, the national training squad (and subsequent national teams); a player must satisfy the following criteria:
- Play at affiliated venue/league or registered (and regularly play) with an affiliated club.
- Not play in any unaffiliated competitions and/or leagues.
- Be a financial member of the ETA through affiliation with a League/club association*
- Attend all national training sessions pre and post-final national team selections - Please note there will be a strong expectation of attendance, and we will address each player's case individually
- Agree to terms of the national squad player agreement at the first opportunity
- Have a zero financial balance with the ETA or have previously agreed an arrangement for their outstanding balance
All players must also meet the criteria set out in this FIT document
- They are a Legal National (including Citizenship) of the Member country; or
- They have parent (mother or father) who was born in the Member country; or
- They have been a resident of the Member country for three (3) years
In addition to the above, an individual must not have represented another member country in international competition in the sport during the previous three (3) international seasons.
An individual looking to participate must be able to clearly prove their identity by having available to present one of the following as required.
- Current driving licence; or
- Current passport, with relevant visas as necessary; or
- Other, suitable photographic evidence.
The responsibility to prove eligibility at Touch Nationals rests with both the individual and the regional lead/coach/manager. Participants whose eligibility may be perceived as questionable should ensure that adequate and appropriate justification is at hand.
* Players not resident in England should contact the HP Director for advice on fulfilling this criterion.
Each regional team will have the following restrictions in the amount of ineligible representatives in their teams:
Opens Regional Team Allowed ZERO ineligible players
Masters Regional Team Allowed ZERO ineligible players
Mixed Regional Team Allowed ZERO ineligible players
18s Regional Team Allowed ZERO ineligible players. An exemption may be sought if a player will be eligible for selection into an Open Team once out of the Junior categories
15s Regional Team Allowed ZERO ineligible players. An exemption may be sought if a player will be eligible for selection into an Open Team once out of the Junior Categories
Exemptions for National Team Selection
The pathway for National Team Selection is to participate at the Touch Nationals. However, if someone is unable to attend the Touch Nationals they can apply for an exemption. An exemption will only be considered and granted under significant circumstances, and the ETA may require further evidence to support your exemption. If you have any questions regarding this please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The exemption form is available from regional leads